You’re Bob Dylan? NJ police want to see some ID
Aug 14, 8:49 PM (ET)
By WAYNE PARRY
Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.
Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.
A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.
“I don’t think she was familiar with his entire body of work,” Woolley said.
The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.
The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:
“What is your name, sir?” the officer asked.
“Bob Dylan,” Dylan said.
“OK, what are you doing here?” the officer asked.
“I’m on tour,” the singer replied.
A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.
The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as “Like a Rolling Stone” and “Blowin’ in the Wind” said that he didn’t have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night’s show.
The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.
The officers thanked him for his cooperation.
“He couldn’t have been any nicer to them,” Woolley added.
How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.
other music news
- Dude Ranch
- Ben and Jerry’s renames ice cream Hubby Hubby in celebration of gay marriage
- Announcement on LeAnn Rimes web site announces divorce. Mis-spells husband’s name.
- Wal-Mart Shopper Slaps Crying Child In The Face
- Microsoft to push mandatory Windows Live Messenger upgrade
- Salesforce Launches $9 Per Month Lightweight Contact Manager For Small Businesses
- Netsuite for iPhone available in the iTunes App Store
- MIS Group offers employees their computers for $200 – apologizes for that little misunderstanding about the health insurance expiring
- Whitney Houston loses voice, cracks through Central Park ‘GMA’ concert – then blames Oprah
- Yankee playoff tickets actually cheaper than regular season